Whole Foods is making sure we celebrate Labor Day right by offering once again their annual $4.99 per pound one day deal on grass-fed beef . Head on over to your local Whole Foods this Friday, September 2nd. My local store will be offering ground beef. There is a 10 pound limit per customer. This is the perfect way to try out grass-fed burgers, or meatballs if you haven’t yet. Also a perfect opportunity to stock up!
Here are some facts and tips on why eating grass fed beef is so healthy and so yummy.Why not eat the same type of beef that our parents were raised with.Comparison to grain-fed cattle, grass-fed beef is:
- Two to four times richer in heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids.
- Higher in “good” unsaturated fats and lower in “bad” saturated fats.
- A 6-ounce steak from a grass-fed have 100 fewer calories than the same steak from a grain-fed steer
- Loaded with over 400% more of vitamin A (as beta carotene) and E.
- Virtually devoid of risk of Mad Cow Disease.
Tips to what Mike my butcher says:
- Don’t cook grass-fed beef cold; it is best when removed from the refrigerator 15 minutes or so prior to cooking.
- When cooking on the grill, let the flames burn down more than is recommended for other meat.
- Does not need as much cooking time.